No change to Queensland border policy despite new NSW transmission

Jul 11, 2020

By Stuart Layt

Queensland will not change its border policy in the face of two separate cases of apparent community transmission of COVID-19 in NSW.

NSW health authorities have confirmed two people who separately attended a pub in Sydney’s south-west on the same night have tested positive for COVID-19.

Around 250,000 people are lining up to enter Queensland as the state's borders reopen to everyone, except Victorians, at midday.

A man in his 50s tested positive on Friday, after a woman in her 30s was confirmed positive earlier this week.

Contact tracing and testing is now ramping up for all patrons of the hotel on that night

The second case, which NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard described as "troubling", saw a man in his 20s test positive in the Sutherland area south of Sydney, after driving his caravan up from Melbourne.

It is understood that man had one other person in the caravan with him and at least two other close contacts at a caravan park where he was staying.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard leaves a press conference on Friday.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard leaves a press conference on Friday.CREDIT:BROOK MITCHELL

The cases were announced a few hours after Queensland reopened its borders at midday on Friday, which saw thousands queuing at road crossings to enter the Sunshine State, causing a 20-kilometre line of cars entering the Gold Coast.

Despite the new cases in Sydney, the Queensland government said it would not alter the measures that had just come into effect.

"This doesn’t change anything," a spokeswoman for Deputy Premier and Health Minister Steven Miles told Brisbane Times.

"The measures around border passes have been designed to identify anyone who might be a risk and to deny them entry to Queensland."

Under the conditions of the border pass, no one from Victoria is allowed into Queensland, while people from other states including NSW are allowed to enter with a valid pass.

They have to declare on the pass whether they have been to Victoria in the past 14 days and if they have they are refused entry, except for Queensland residents who have to go into mandatory two-week quarantine.

Lying on the form or failing to get tested if symptoms develop is punishable by a fine of up to $4000.

NSW closed its border with Victoria on Wednesday, however both of the transmission incidents announced on Friday occurred before then.

Queensland’s Chief Medical Officer Dr Jeannette Young has said they are expecting to see more cases in Queensland after the borders were opened, but insisted there was "enormous" capacity to contact trace and prevent new cases from spreading.

Queensland officially recorded no new virus cases on Friday, with just two active cases out of a total of 1068.

Victoria recorded 288 new coronavirus cases on Friday, marking the biggest daily increase in infections since the pandemic began and leaving the state with more than 1000 active cases.

The post about “No change to Queensland border policy despite new NSW transmission" first appeared on the Brisbane Times website.

***

To engage in helping and supporting our Latin American community impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, seek or share information, events, news, forums, and critical connection and collaboration opportunities during this time of mass isolation, join our community at COVID-19 Support Group.

Not yet a member? Get connected and be inspired by more incredible Latin American and Australian professionals. Join the growing Somos21 Community.


Other news

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.