Pubs and restaurants in NSW ready to welcome 50 customers in June

May 22, 2020

BY MARCIA DE LOS SANTOS

Up to 50 people will be allowed to dine seated in restaurants, pubs and cafes beginning June 1 in New South Wales, as the state government begins to relax the restrictions by COVID-19.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced the news Friday that she called "big and critical" for the state, but said very strict rules would be set for the establishments.

"The last thing we want to do is close deals for violating the requirements," he told reporters in Sydney.


 Highlights:

  • Starting June 1 in New South Wales, pubs, cafes and restaurants will serve up to 50 customers.
  • You must leave at least four square meters of space per person.
  • In South Australia cafes and restaurants can serve 10 customers indoors and 10 outdoors.

Places must still leave at least four square meters of space per person.

In addition, booking for more than 10 people will be prohibited, and customers will not be allowed to consume unemployed.

Currently, restaurants can only receive a maximum of 10 customers if they maintain social distance and if they offer table service. Customers who want to consume alcohol should order a plate of food to accompany their drinks.

New South Wales Vice Premier John Barilaro says easing the restrictions will help boost the productivity of regional businesses that have suffered from drought, forest fires and the pandemic.

"Happy Hour, it is our hour of happiness, it is time to drink wine and have dinner," Barilaro said Friday.

The increase in customer numbers coincides with the announcement to loosen restrictions on regional travel across the state and the opening of museums, galleries and libraries beginning June 1.

South Australia relaxes restrictions

Cafes and restaurants in South Australia can serve food and alcoholic dishes inside and outside their establishments starting on Friday.

These places can serve 10 clients indoors and 10 outdoors.

The announcement has come earlier than expected and it is estimated that South Australia will try to move to the second stage earlier than planned.

In the coming days, the Government of South Australia will release details on how the restrictions will be reduced starting June 5, with different rules for various business sectors.

SA Premier Steven Marshall speaks to the media during a press conference in Adelaide, Wednesday, May 20, 2020
SA Premier Steven Marshall speaks to the media during a press conference in Adelaide, Wednesday, May 20, 2020
AAP

Premier Steven Marshall says they are finalizing new measures that will give individual companies autonomy to decide how to proceed, taking into account the risks involved and the proposed mitigation strategies to protect the public against COVID-19.

"We cannot have one size fits all," said the premier. The changes come after there were no new cases of virus infections this Thursday in South Australia.

So far, the state has had 439 confirmed cases, but none are recorded as active.

The post about “Pubs and restaurants in NSW ready to welcome 50 customers in June" first appeared in the  SBS en Español website.

***

To engage in the latest trends, developments and opportunities in advertising, architecture, sports, art, cuisine, fashion, film, music, and all forms of creative ideas across Australia and Latin America, join our community at Creative Industries Group.

Not yet a member? Get connected and be inspired by more incredible Latin American and Australian professionals. Join the growing Somos21 Community.


Other news

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.